Angel Protocol - revolutionizing charitable giving
made by Fynn. Link to my Twitter
What is Angel Protocol achieving?
Angel Protocol is revolutionizing charitable giving. We leverage blockchain technology and the passion of the Terra ecosystem to make charitable giving easy, transparent, and sustainable; Give once, give forever.
-Chauncey St. John
Why should everyone be interested?
Charitable giving faces numerous obstacles. Simply put, it’s hard to set up and maintain recurring charitable donations that produce reliable income for charities and nonprofits.
DeFi can provide solutions that offer a better experience for donors and increase the financial stability of charities.
Angel Protocol is one such solution. Their vision is to help charities and nonprofits who are on the front lines of facing and overcoming society’s most difficult challenges. Angel Protocol makes it easier for donors to give and for charities to operate.
The Angel team is backed by over 60 years of non-profit experience, including Dr. Duffy Casey, MD who co-founded GlobalBrigades.org 20 years ago. Global Brigades is a multi-national charity organization dedicated to resolving health & economic disparities, and a partner of Angel Protocol.
What are some plans for the future?
Currently, Angel’s number one focus is launching their beta release in Q3, which will be the backend vault architecture to support the charitable endowments. This will give them a way to prove their code and begin disbursing funds from Terra Charity Alliance members to participating charities.
In Q4 they plan to launch their V1 release which will include a front end for users to donate to charities of their choice, and for charities around the world to onboard themselves onto their platform.
Can we get a bit of information on the airdrops? Is there a token?
The $HALO token (designed with Delphi Digital) will launch with Angel’s V1 front-end release in Q4. It will be two retroactive airdrops to those who have been staking with us. So make sure you stake and stay staked for both snapshots if you wish to earn a maximum HALO.
Importantly, there will be dedicated “Thank You” airdrops to reward anyone staking their $LUNA to Angel Protocol’s validator. This will not be snapshot-based but rather account for the staking duration & amount. Angel protocol is using its validator to help crowdsource community funding to build out the protocol. 10% of all profits will go to charity endowments until the protocol is fully funded, at which point 100% of profits will go to charity endowments. Here is an explanatory validator video: http://youtu.be/681QZf_FlcI
Angel has also publicly announced on Twitter that there will be a $HALO airdrop to $ANC token governance stakers. To be eligible, you will have to stake your anchor tokens on the govern page on Anchor.
How does Angel Protocol benefit the user and the Terra ecosystem?
Angel Protocol simplifies charitable giving, which benefits both donors and charities.
Endowments provide several benefits that increase the long-term sustainability of a charity. Smaller charities often find it difficult and expensive to set up endowments, and thus are excluded from those benefits. Angel Protocol aims to eliminate that exclusion by lowering the costs and barriers to creating perpetual endowments.
The Terra ecosystem benefits in several ways:
- Angel Protocol is an excellent showcase for how the Terra ecosystem is redesigning traditional applications, such as charitable giving. Blockchains often lack clear, easily explainable use cases. Angel Protocol is a perfect example of a use case — sustainable charitable giving — that is easy to explain to people outside crypto
- The Terra Charity Alliance works together to increase charitable giving across the ecosystem with a giving pledge to commit at least 1% of revenue to charitable indexes aligned with the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals. This helps highlight the heart of the community while allowing other protocols & validators to raise their profile as socially responsible organizations
- Angel Protocol will increase $UST demand and therefore $LUNA burn. $UST is being locked, thus creating a growing floor for LUNA value by permanently locking UST supply. By partnering with Loop & leveraging their ThorChain integration, Angel will be able to accept donations in any cryptocurrency natively from other blockchains. This allows donors to avoid any taxes on their crypto profits, as gifts/donations are not subject to capital gains tax. Other cryptos will be converted into $UST automatically, avoiding a taxable event for donors and allowing for charitable tax write-offs
The crypto-community is still seen as a mystery by many who could benefit from the financial stability offered by Anchor Earn & other DeFi yields. Angel Protocol will enable them to see the simplicity, safety, and benefit Terra offers. Scams are unfortunately always news-worthy headlines, so the long-term success of DeFi rests on use cases such as Angel Protocol that are safe, easy to understand, and solve real problems.
The best part of Terra is the community; both the LUNAtics as well as the other founders/teams. Everyone is very supportive of one another and eager to help each other #BUIDL. Angel protocol are very excited about the functionality being built out by the other Terra protocols, and as such have a long list of exciting partnerships for future releases:
- Pylon will be offering a No-Loss Giving option for users who do not want to donate their principle but would rather stake it to donate their yield
- Kado, Astral, & Kash will be offering on/off ramps to abstract away DeFi complexity for both donors and charities
- Apollo, Spar, & Sandclock will be offering additional yield opportunities for endowment vault strategies in addition to base Anchor yield
- Talis will be offering NFT badges to gamify giving & reward generous donors
- Loop merits a repeat mention: they will be offering the ability to accept crypto in any currency, from any chain, and convert to UST on their behalf. This allows donors to avoid paying any taxes on their crypto profits
This is only the beginning. When one protocol rises, all protocols rise.
How can the community get involved?
- Follow Angel Protocol on Twitter to stay up to date with developments and announcements. Also, be sure to watch out for NEW Terra Charity Alliance members, the list keeps on growing…
- Reach out to Angel on Telegram! They’re always looking for enthusiastic and skilled community members as they scale and execute upon their vision. Angel Protocol is nothing without the Terra community, and your participation is key to their success
- Angel are actively seeking Angel Ambassadors to help them onboard charities. If you know of a charity that could benefit or would like to volunteer their time in outreach efforts, please contact Duffy Casey, Angel’s onboarding leader: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calling all builders! Angel are looking to expand their dev team and encourage anyone passionate about their vision to please reach out: email@example.com